Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Modern Animation

I've been watching a lot of television over break. Since I have, I, of course, have to choose what to watch. I decided to see what kind of animated shows are on TV. Animation is a difficult medium to judge, since mostly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but remember, almost everything is biased. Opinions differ from one another. Writing is also key, and so are characters. My opinion on the shows I've seen on TV currently?
It's been a mixed bag, to be honest.
 My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic. I know what you're thinking, but the animation is nice to look at and the writing is clever. The characters are diverse and it's an all around great show with a dedicated fanbase. Go check it out.
Steven Universe premiered about 2 months ago, and was on hiatus for most of December (next week is when we'll get the next episode). The characters are diverse in skin tone and body type, and I'm glad that they each have a personality. The animation blew me away. The backgrounds and character designs are excellent. It's a really good show, you should go see it.
Wander Over Yonder is pretty nice, too. It's weirder than the common cartoon, but that's a good thing. The only bad thing about it is that it's currently on hiatus.
Uncle Grandpa is okay. It's...odd. I like it. I like the colorful visuals and the characters are...Varied? The show is just a giant question mark to me. I'm mostly confused when watching it. But, hey, it doesn't resort to gross-out jokes as comedy, and that's always a good thing. How can he be EVERYONE'S uncle and grandpa, anyway...?
Rabbids Invasion confuses me to no end. Is this 1990? Why are video game characters getting television shows, and not even the PROTAGONIST of the game? If you haven't heard, the Rabbids come from a game series called Rayman. Rayman's been around since the Playstation 1 days, and the games have always been good. When Rayman Raving Rabbids came out, there was a small decline in quality until Rayman Origins, since Rayman wasn't even the FOCUS of those games. It was the Rabbids. I'm going to assume that's why they got the show. It's clever. It uses a lot of slapstick comedy which I thought was extinct these days due to overprotective soccer moms complaining. Anyways, it's decent.
Adventure Time is very beautiful visual-wise, and the characters are developed and it's great. I've been watching since 2010, when it debuted, and I've always loved it.
Regular Show is a show I'm just beginning to warm up to. I realized how clever the dialogue is, and it can get away with so much stuff it's insane.
Anyways, the future looks bright, and I hope it will continue to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment